Ryder's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Harper's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Shepherd's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mel's latest projects

You may have noticed the two new links on the right-hand side of the page for home decorating blogs I've been reading. Now that I'm staying at home and we're living on one income, money for home decor is not exactly in abundance. So I've made it a game to see how cheaply I can find old items and give them a facelift (with Andrew's help, of course!) 

Project #1: a buffet
We were in desperate need of a buffet in the dining area for storage purposes. Over the course of several weeks I visited some thrift stores, keeping my eyes peeled for an old dresser. One Saturday I hit the jackpot! All furniture was marked 50% off, so I got this wooden dresser for only $75. I loved the wrought iron hardware, so I didn't have the expense of replacing them.
dresser before

After some sanding and several coats of spray paint, we had the perfect piece! We have an old mirror we're going to hang above it once we repaint the frame, but I love how it looks so far!
dresser after



Project #2: lamps for our bedroom
When we moved we got rid of our old nightstand lamps because Andrew's was kind of falling apart and they were cheap enough I didn't feel bad parting with them. I lucked out and managed to find two matching lamps at Goodwill for $3.99 each, and I knew I could spray paint them to match a color in our bedding. Goodbye hunter green and mauve, hello red! I bought two new lamp shades at Lowe's for less than $10 each, and the lamps look updated and brand new.
lamp before 
(I forgot to take a picture of this lamp's mauve twin because I was so excited to try out the paint!)

finished lamp--one on each nightstand

No comments:

Post a Comment