Well, I made it three years as a mom before needing to take a child to the urgent care for an injury. And wouldn't you know it wasn't my little boy but my little princess who got the first official boo-boo. I was outside with the kids yesterday afternoon enjoying some fresh air and letting them burn off a little energy when Harper took a spill at the foot of the driveway. Thankfully she wasn't running, but she was going just fast enough that even after catching herself with her hands, her body still lurched forward and she hit her forehead on the ground. When I picked her up and saw blood, I definitely experienced a moment of panic. I couldn't tell how bad the cut was because her hair was in the way and she definitely didn't want me messing with her. I didn't think she would need stitches, but I definitely wanted a doctor to take a look at her. I told Ryder we needed to go inside because Harper got hurt and I probably had to take her to the doctor. That was enough to worry my sensitive, sweet little boy. He practically tripped over himself trying to put away his bicycle and follow me inside; he still had his helmet on a good 10 minutes later because I was preoccupied and he could sense it wasn't a good time to ask me to help him. I called Andrew, and he was on his way home from an overtime job but still far enough away that I wasn't sure if I should wait for him to get home. I really just wanted another adult's opinion about what I should do, so I called Pops and Grann who thankfully said they would come right over. While we waited I tried to hold a cold, wet washcloth on Harper's head--she preferred that I didn't! All she wanted was Mommy and her pacifier. I looked over at Ryder, who had been very quiet while I was on the phone, and asked if he was ok. He was pale and teary-eyed, and he said, "I'm just worried about Harper baby." That just about broke my heart! I reassured him that Harper would be just fine, but I wanted a doctor to help me take really good care of the boo-boo so that it would heal the right way. I gave him a big hug and then he told me he wanted to lay down in the recliner for "just a second." The poor thing was so concerned that I don't think he felt well. Then he asked who was going to stay home with him if I had to take Harper to the doctor. It's like he was trying to work out the logistics in his head just like I was! Everything worked out well: Grann offered to stay with Ryder so Pops could drive Harper and me; Andrew met us at urgent care on his way home from work.
in the car on the way to the doctor--She was due for a nap, but I wouldn't let her fall asleep.
I kind of lost track of time, but we probably waited about 30 minutes or so before Harper saw the doctor. She definitely didn't seem to be in any pain. Andrew and I took turns chasing her around the waiting room because she wanted to get into everything. Every once in a while I would dab at her forehead to clean her up a bit, and then she was off again. Entertaining her in the exam room was the tricky part since there was no space to move around. I read her a book and fed her some teddy grahams so she would stay away from the spinning stool that inevitably would have given her a second injury! The doctor said the wound wasn't deep enough for stitches but would probably heal perfectly with the help of a steri-strip. Harper only cried a little as the nurse cleaned off the wound, dabbed on a little adhesive, and applied the steri-strip. The goal is to keep it on for 7-10 days. I'm hoping this little daredevil girl who climbs and gets into EVERYTHING will cooperate with us. :)
(with a mouthful of teddy grahams) "What's all the fuss about? I feel great!"



No comments:
Post a Comment