On Friday, Ryder's class had their final field trip of the school year. They visited a local elementary school to see what it was like to be kindergarteners for the day. I didn't get a chance to attend the other field trips because I was working, but I took the day off so that I could attend this one with my little man. I am SO glad I did! It was a wonderful way to alleviate some of the preschoolers' (and parents'!!) fears of what kindergarten will be like. I'm so proud of how well Ryder did in a new environment; it was definitely bittersweet to stand back and really see how much he's grown up. He's ready for this next step, but I sure hope I am!
Sitting in on a kindergarten music class, they got to take turns playing maracas and steel drums.
Going through the lunch line! I love this picture because I can tell he's figuring out how to slide the tray along the countertop.
Cheese (pizza)!
being led around a kindergarten classroom by two current students
A moment to remember:
As the children finished lunch, we had a few minutes for a bathroom break before our next activity. I led Ryder over to the side of the cafeteria where the restrooms are and then stopped in my tracks. He always comes into the women's restroom with me if we're out at a restaurant, store, etc., But I realized he needs to be able to go into school bathrooms himself next year. So for the very first time, I showed him which bathroom had the boys' sign on it and told him I'd wait right outside the door for him. He said, "ok", and then headed in alone. (This is when I wanted to cry--ridiculous, I know!) He came back out a couple of minutes later with a grin on his face. I asked him if he went to the bathroom, and he said, "Yes, and guess what? I used the urinal!" Ha! I asked him if he washed his hands, and he looked at me with surprise and said, "Oops! I forgot!" He headed back into the bathroom to finish the routine.









No comments:
Post a Comment