Ryder's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Harper's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Shepherd's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 9, 2017

A quick Key West getaway

Since Steve turns the big 4-0 this month, we wanted to do something fun to celebrate! Back at Christmas time we started brainstorming and planning a trip to Key West; Steve and Alison had been before and knew the four of us would have a great time. Of course the whole weekend wouldn't have been possible without Pops and Grann! They kept the three kiddos for us so we could enjoy a child-free weekend. Garcia spent his first weekend away from us at a local "pet resort", and Andrew and I joked that we missed him more than the kids--ha!

Steve was our activity director extraordinaire! He found the perfect B&B and numerous bars/restaurants for us to check out as well as renting bicycles for us to cruise around on. We started bright and early Saturday morning with a drive to Ft. Myers where we hopped on the Key West Express, a boat that goes directly to Key West and saves us several hours of drive time. We snagged a tall table so we could play cards, read magazines, and eat snacks to pass the time. The captain strongly urged everyone to take Dramamine since the water was choppy from all the wind we had over the weekend. We followed his advice and none of us got sick! We were all more subdued on the boat ride home Sunday evening after our whirlwind trip. We didn't get back to Ft. Myers until after 10:30 pm, so by the time we got home it was after midnight. I was the only one who didn't have to work Monday morning--I took the day off once we booked the trip and I knew how exhausted I would be. I was glad I did! I took Ryder to school and then Harper and I grocery shopped, picked up Garcia, did some laundry, and cleaned the house. Whew! Being tired for a few days was worth it though--we had a great time!

Let the mini-vacation begin!

our boat once we arrived in Key West


Uh oh! We stopped at a local rum distillery where we had some samples and couldn't resist this picture of Andrew. Ha!

The Grand Guesthouse
















We took the tour of the Hemingway House, seeing plenty of six-toed cats that still live on the property. Our tour guide was cheesy and way too scripted, but the house was beautiful!


Ernest Hemingway's writing table and workspace


There were cats everywhere!


a sponge monster


pineapple mojito




As the boat pulled away from the dock Sunday evening, we went up to the top deck for a few minutes to check out the view. It was chilly and super windy!



And meanwhile, the kiddos' weekend was just as full as ours! Movie night, balloons, arts and crafts, an airplane show, swimming at the pool, church, a visit to The Children's Garden, a stop at Checker's for milkshakes, and the list goes on! Ryder and Harper were tired and happy when they woke up Monday morning--the first thing Harper asked was if Garcia was home yet. I guess she didn't miss us too much either! ;)
before church on Sunday morning

milkshakes Sunday afternoon!






I believe this picture was taken Saturday afternoon when the kids were tired and just wanted to lounge in their pj's! (Ryder even has his Spiderman hood up!)



Garcia was so excited to see us on Monday morning! The owner of the kennel said Garcia did great, and he even cooperated when they groomed him and gave him a bath. He hopped right into the car next to Harper and gave her lots of kisses. :)


There's no place like home.

My snuggly babies before school one morning. So sweet!




No comments:

Post a Comment