I always write about how much the
kiddos are growing and changing, and how I can't believe how fast time goes by. Well, the same goes for me too! As I turned the big 4-0 last weekend, it made me stop and think, "How did that happen??" I still feel like I just turned 16, just graduated high school, just finished college, just got married, etc. The list goes on and on. My mom so kindly reminded me that when she turned 40, her kids ranged in age from 10-17. Mine are 6 months to almost 9 years. Ha! 😂 They will keep me young at heart, right?? When I was little, I thought 40 sounded
so old and that when I turned 40 I would feel like a grown-up and have life all figured out. Ha! I still feel like I haven't grown up yet and that Andrew and I are just winging it as parents and taking it one day at a time. And I've decided that's ok. Because I'm happily married with three amazing, happy, healthy kiddos and life is good. I can't sweat the small stuff because life is just too short!
In honor of my big 4-0, my parents came to visit! My dad hadn't met Shepherd in person yet, so it was the perfect excuse to get together. They stayed just under a week, so we packed as much fun into their visit as we could: Ryder's football game, Harper's soccer game, a trip to the apple orchard, a fajita birthday dinner, lunch downtown, games of Rummikub, and just downtime at home. As always, their visit went way too fast! Here's a glimpse into our week together:
Since Ryder and Harper didn't have school on Columbus Day, we decided that would be a good time to go to an apple orchard to do a little apple-picking. Andrew's boss/friend Scott and his daughter met us there, and they also joined us at our house that evening for my fajita birthday dinner. It was a beautiful fall day, and we couldn't have asked for a better day to spend outside. At the orchard we picked a variety of different apples, filling our half-bushel bag in no time!
 |
| A full bag! |
 |
| Dad enjoyed playing lumberjack and using Andrew's log splitter! |
 |
| My mom made the apple cake I requested with fresh apples we picked that morning. Look at Shepherd's tongue! |
 |
| My mom, Ryder, and Harper surprised me with these funny birthday posters they made. We've enjoyed eating the candy off of them. :) |
 |
| I love this picture. 😍 We have several pictures of my dad holding me like this when I was a baby...40 years ago! |
Andrew had one more day off than the kiddos, so we enjoyed a grownups only (plus Shepherd!) day. We went to the tri-state landmark that I've read about on a "things to do near me" website, followed by lunch and a stroll downtown. Once again the weather couldn't have been more perfect. Ahhh, how I missed fall. 🍁
 |
| Who needs toys? Shepherd was content trying to eat a piece of paper at the restaurant. |
 |
| Sitting in three states: NY, NJ, and PA. |
Harper's soccer practice was canceled later that afternoon, so we decided to go to the park instead so the big kids could run off their energy before dinner. We all walked the trail through the woods first and then watched the kids play at the playground. One of Harper's soccer teammates was also there with his mom and little sister--they had the same idea as we did!
 |
| our little monkey! |
 |
| tetherball with Grandpa |
 |
| a Grandpa-Harper selfie 😊 |
OH how wonderful was waiting for this book sure did enjoy Your Mom & Dad will be here this weekend for my birthday 48+40= 88 Shepherd sure looks like his Daddy How about that Andrew? fun to see all the pics
ReplyDelete