A few Ryder expressions that have popped up recently:
"Not yet"
It doesn't matter what we ask or even tell him to do, his reply is "not yet". Ugh, does that get old fast! I am no expert on toddler behavior, but I'm guessing it's just part of him wanting to be in control of things. He wants to do things on his terms, not Mommy and Daddy's.
"Actually"
This one cracks me up! He just started saying this two days ago, and it makes him sound so educated! He says it sweetly, so it doesn't come across like he's a know-it-all. :) Here's an example from today.
(It was lunch time, and I had just reheated some stir fry from last night's dinner).
M: Honey, the rice might be hot so make sure you blow on it before you take a bite.
R: (blows on his food and takes a bite) No, Mom, actually it's not too hot.
"Talk to me!"
It's rare for Andrew and me to have an uninterrupted conversation until both kids are tucked into bed for the night. We've just accepted that our "daytime" conversations will revolve around the kids for the time being. Well, the other night at dinner Andrew was trying to tell me about something that had happened at work that day. As he was talking to me, Ryder's little voice piped up and said, "No! Talk to me, Daddy." Without skipping a beat, Andrew continued his story but looked at Ryder instead of me. Ryder looked amazingly interested, and even said "yep" and "uh huh" as he listened intently. Andrew had been working on an elevator at a condo that day, and he was talking about some of the rules of the condo association. I just thought Ryder's verbal agreements were his way of mimicking what he had heard us do, but I knew he was truly paying attention when he asked, "What an 'association' is?" At that point I couldn't keep a straight face, especially as Andrew tried to explain it to him using words Ryder would understand. My little man just wants to be included as one of the grownups!



I love it! Griff does the "actually" thing too. He also tells me about things that are "similar". My favorite was when we were in Target the other day. We walked by the makeup section and there was a big hanging photo of a "Covergirl" cosmetics ad or something. Griff so sweetly said, "Look Mommy, that's you" and I chuckled and said, "No honey, that's not me" and he said, "No, but she looks similar to you". I'll take it. haha! :)
ReplyDelete