Ryder was pacifier-free last fall. He no longer used it, even for sleeping, and I was proud that it was a thing of the past. Why I didn't throw it away, I have no idea. It was in the back of his sock drawer, so I guess 'out of sight, out of mind'. Then in January he went through a phase of not wanting to nap or go to bed. He screamed and pounded on his door, and of course there was a new baby in the house getting more attention. Andrew and I decided to let him have the paci back to help him sleep because surely this was just a phase, right? Ha! He no longer fought us when it was time to sleep, but he has NEEDED his pacifier for naps and bedtime ever since. He had some kind of virus this past weekend, so he pretty much laid on the couch looking pitiful and feeling like a dishrag. I didn't mind letting him use the pacifier when he had a fever of 101 and felt awful; it was soothing to him. But the next day when the fever had gone down and he obviously felt better, I was tired of listening to him trying to talk with it shoved in his mouth. Andrew and I decided it was time to remove the paci, cold-turkey. But how? Enter the "Paci Princess". When Ryder laid down for his nap yesterday and asked for his pacifier, we told him we couldn't find it. He had us look in all of the usual places we might keep it during the day, but it was nowhere to be found. He was so mad at first that there was no reasoning with him. Once his screams turned into sobs, I told him that the Paci Princess must have taken it to give to a baby who needed it. Since Ryder is such a big boy and so good at sharing, the princess decided he was ready to share his pacifier with someone who
really needed it. He was heartbroken but seemed to understand what I was explaining to him.
R: A baby was crying?
M: Yes, a baby was crying and didn't have a paci to help calm him down.
R: But I didn't want the princess to take my paci. (Picture a pouty lip and big crocodile tears).
M: I know sweetie, but you're a big boy now and too grown up for a pacifier.
R: The baby's not crying now?
M: No, I think the baby is happy that someone like you shared a pacifier to make him feel better.
R: Yep.
When he woke up from his nap, he asked about it again. I told him it must have been the Paci Princess because while he was napping she delivered a present for him in exchange for his pacifier. This caught his attention. He was hesitant at first about the present, like he knew that accepting it would be officially giving up his pacifier. (Wow, when did my baby grow up to be such a smart little boy?) I would say he's still "in mourning", but he's going to be okay.
 |
| his new scooter! |
No comments:
Post a Comment