Ryder's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Harper's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Shepherd's birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Trimming the Tree

When you hear that phrase, it probably conjures up images of decorating the tree with lights and ornaments, right? Well this year we had to literally trim the tree before trimming the tree. Allow me to explain.
I got home from work Friday afternoon with what I call Fred Flintstone feet. My ankles weren't swollen, but my feet looked like two rectangular slabs. In the last few days this has become the usual, from the time I wake up in the morning until I go to bed at night. Andrew and I had planned to go pick out and decorate our Christmas trees Friday evening, but we both decided it would be wiser for me to just relax and stay off of my feet for a while. So Andrew headed to the store alone to pick out our trees. I reminded him that the trees always look smaller at the lot than they do once you get them inside the house. He reassured me he'd keep that in mind. When he returned home, we were both anxious to see how the trees looked; the one he picked out for the basement (a.k.a. the "tacky tree") fit perfectly in its spot in front of the window, but the upstairs tree ended up being HUMONGOUS! Our first clue should have been that even with the netting still on it, we couldn't get our arms around it. It was a very full, healthy, and pregnant-looking tree. Appropriate, huh? :) We decided we could make it work if we did a little pruning to create more of a triangular shape. I have decided that Mr. Miagi has nothing on Andrew (bonsai!), and after some meticulous trimming, it looks absolutely perfect!
BEFORE: The tree was basically shoving the window treatments and couch out of its way.

Andrew concentrating as he gives the tree a much-needed haircut.


AFTER: One full lawn 'n leaf bag of clippings later, we have a nicely shaped tree that actually fits in the corner of the room!

Let the decorating begin!



Decorating is not Andrew's favorite part, and I think the whole trimming process wore him out!

The finished product!

the "tacky tree" before

and after

our little snowmen family

Merry Christmas! Now all we need is some snow to cover the fallen leaves--just not the 20+ inches my parents have on the ground!




No comments:

Post a Comment